Elder West's Favorite Scripture

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the work of truth and righteousness (Alma 38:9)

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"My Area Is Pure Stairs" 6/6/2011

HI family!

Once again the computer has counquered my poor missionary computer
skills and I was not able to attach any photos. I really do have
pictures I want to send but....its hard. I will never use this
computer again.

This week was one of those weeks that are really hard and frustrating.
Elder holland said that we would experience many days like these, were
we wouldnt catch any fish at all. On saturday (usually our most busy
and succesful days) we only had 1 lesson and it was at 8 o'clock at
night. Elder Lopez and I walked for 2 in the afternoon after lunch
until that time. Not to mention it was raining (my comp. lost his
umbrella so we had to share), we were fasting, and my area is pure
stairs and there are no flat parts whatsoever. Whoever decided to
start a city on the side of this devil hill must have been crazy. But
its ok, Elder Lopez and I were able to learn alittle bit about
dilligence this past week alot. He only has 3 weeks left on his
mission and sometimes he looses his will to work. But this past week
we really did work, and my legs are beeeeeeeet.

My favorite experience this week was a lesson that me and my companion
had with a less active member with his non-member wife. The lesson was
just really good. I could honestly say that the spirit was the one
doing the work in this lesson and not us. Both me and my companion did
not know what to say or teach at all. But we ended up teaching a great
lesson. We are basing our teaching off of a new teaching method that
the church started last year as a pilot test. Its called simplified
study, they just started teaching it in the MTC last change. Bascially
it teaches us how to help the investigador recieve revelation through
prayer, reading the B.O.M, going to church and us, as the missionaries
asking more inspired questions. The lesson we had with this family was
exactly how all lessons should be. we tought to them according to
their needs with the goal of them understanding the role of the holy
ghost and prayer in recieving an answer. Alot of times we teach like
45 minutes and try and squeeze in as many gospel principles as we can
trying to convince them that what we are teaching is true. Its really
cool how the vision of missionary work has changed so much.

Its great to hear that Peter got to Brazil safely. I cannot believe
that it is already June! I bet megan and kevin are really excited to
do chores and stuff all summer. Next summer I will be home to help.
Right now in Guatemala the rainy season is starting up which is kind
of nice because that means that the sun wont burn me as much. Last
week we were teaching and it started to rain really really hard, and
we were teaching someone who has a tin roof. It was deafening and we
could not hear a thing. Plus they were to busy taking care of all of
the roof leaks they had. Since my area is just one giant hill
everysingle street is like a giant River. It is insane! I could
seriously sit on an intertube and fly all the way down to our house
(which is at the very bottom of the hill). One day I will take a video
of guatemala rain. Well I got to go I will write to guys next week.

Love Elder West

No comments:

Post a Comment