Elder West's Favorite Scripture

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the work of truth and righteousness (Alma 38:9)

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

6th CCM e-mail 9/1/2010

Subject: I can speak spanish!

BOy oh Boy! you could not believe how much I luaghed when you told me that kristens report date got bumped up six weeks. That was the biggest suprise ever! Something that might help you is that the MTC had alot of stuff that you can by there. Plus at the MTC bookstore you missionaries get like a 40% off discount. They have alot of practical stuff like shampoo, all the church literature you will ever need, scripture cases, stamps, food, watches, alarm clocks and stuff. So dont worry if you dont have time to get all the little stuff. There is a sister in my district whose old stake president is now the mission president for Kristens missions Im pretty sure. She said her family is really good freinds with them. Kristen can tell her mission president that her brother is serving with Hermana Curtis, he might recognize the name. Ok so I had the most amazing experience this week. They let us go out into the city a second time to get references and do contacts and stuff. Except this time I didnt have the aid of a latino companion to help me with my spanish. It was me and my two other companions. Elder Sagoe, and Elder Tebbs. I wanna share two experiences in particular that really stood out to me. The first one nearly made me cry. My companions and I walked by this area where a ton of homeless people were laying down and sleeping. one of them was sitting up and my companion had the prompting to go talk to him. He looked really quite young, very dirty, and was quite obviously mentally handicapped. We aske him ¨how was your day¨ he asnwered ¨malo (bad)¨, he tried to tell us something else but we ahd no Idea what he was saying so we gave him a pamphlet about the restoration and began to teach to his needs the best we could. As soon as we handed him the pamphlet another homeless mentally challenged man came over and we gave him one to and began to teach both of them. i was talking about how god and Jesus christ love all of us when one of them just began to cry. We tought him that there is a prophet here on the earth today that guides us, and that through the teachings of the prophet we can gain knowledge that can help us onvercome any challenge. In the end I dont know excactly why he was crying but i think that I may have been the only person in a long time to have shown any kind of love for him in a long time. It was really humbling. I wish that I could have done more to help these to men but there was really nothing i could have done at that time. i wish I could talk about my other story but Im out of time and the other missionaries are getting grumpy. The next email you get I might be in the mission field! Love you guys! Good luck Kristen!


No comments:

Post a Comment