Elder West's Favorite Scripture

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the work of truth and righteousness (Alma 38:9)

Thursday, September 23, 2010

1st Baptism - Santa Ellena 9/22/10

This has been a week to remember I dont even know where to begin.

This past week we found 11 new investigadores! We had alot of success this week. And This saturday we have 2 baptisms! Hermana Iris fernandez Alonzo and Marco Antonio Guzmo. I am so excited. I can count hermana Iris as my first investigador that I baptized because I tought her from the beggining. Marco antonio had already comited to baptism before I got there so. Two days ago we were walking past the house of Hermana Iris when she rushed out, chased us down and told as that she wanted to be baptized this saturday, it as incredible. we didnt expect that at all but thats alright with me. She even quite her job so that she could come to church on sundays. I feel so good right now I cant even describe it. In october I should have like 6 baptisms as well. We are teaching the family of hermana Iris, and they are really progressing fast as well. There is another Guy named Carlos Roberto who has a baptism date on the 10 de october love Carlos he is hilarious, plus he looks just like Mario, hahaha. We have a lot of other investigadors as well but they need more work. A big problem here is that the majority of the families have parents that ahve never been married and so that is something that we have to focus on alot.

On the flip side the week has been a real challenge as well. First of all it has rained super dooper hard. within like 2 minutes the rain can fill like a 3 inch pot whole in the ground, its nuts! I finally gave in and bought an umbrella. On tuesday we learned that one of our investigadors was killed by a drunk driver while he was riding his bike! His name was Louis and he was progressing well. IT was really sad and we had to do a little damage control with members who were his close friends. Unfortunately I was in a different area during his funeral because I was on divisions with another elder. and thats the other thing about this week is that I went on divisions 3 times, haha. Me and my companion both got food poisening twice and spent alot of time throwing up this week.

HOwever, despite all of those challenges this week turned out to be really good and succesful because me and my companion to depend on our faith alot. On they days that were most difficult, we had the most success. THe lord has been testing us, and despite these tests me and my companion have pushed through and had a very succesful week. I learned this week that the Elders who have the most success are the ones who dont get discouraged and never stop working.

I get alot of compliments on my spanish from the people her. THey are shocked to learn that I have only been in the mission field for 2 weeks. I still really cannot say everything I want to say but i can get the point across. I went on divisions for a day with another Elder named Elder Clifton from Canada. He is so funny but he sucks ant spanish. I have no Idea why they paired us up togather. Both of us figured out that if we play the innocent fresh off the boat white boy card, we can get alot of appointments set, hahaha. FOr example in our contacts, we would say something like excuse me we are new in town and our spanish isnt very good, but we are looking for people who would like to listen to our message about jesus christ... Wfound alot of success that way, haha. Buy seriously like if I start a lesson, it is really good to ask the investigador to correct and help me with my spanish. Because then they will pay really close attention to everything that I say and in the end they will understand the lesson better. I ve got it all figured out. But yah my spanish is improving.

Other things I learned this week:

  • I hate dogs
  • buses are really fun because I have to hang out the door with one hand while its flying down the mountain at like 40 mph
  • People here stink and cooking spaghetti
  • dont eat fruit fresh off the tree
  • if you ask for agua you will get coca cola
  • dont sit at the front or the back of the bus because you are most likely to get shot there
  • Dont even try to teach someone if they are drunk
  • Dont order a hamburgers that come with egg bacon onions and barbaque sauce
  • Work Hard!

THis week was also really cool because it was guatemalas version of the 4th of july so naturally people have been lighting firecrackers off everyday for the past week at 6 am in the morning. There was some really cool parades we got to watch and overall it was pretty cool.

anyways I gotta go, thanks for the family updates it sounds like kevin and megan are doing awesome at life and things are goin good. I will talk to you all next week

Love,

Elder West


No comments:

Post a Comment