Elder West's Favorite Scripture

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the work of truth and righteousness (Alma 38:9)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"Armed Guards" 6-20-2011

Hola!

It sounds like you guys are enjoying your first weeks of summer. I hope the
weather is good and everything. I have pictures to send you guys but the
computer is being retarded so I could'nt attach them. I spent like 5 minutes
of my precious computer time trying to do it as well. This week I was daring
enough to take my camera out of my house to take pictures with one of my
favorite families in the world. I think I might have talked about them last
week. Amanda (mom), Sergio (son), Clara (daughter), Emily (other daughter).
Sergio and Clara are twins and they turned 11 years old saturday. I love
these guys. First of all I know that they are among Gods chosen spirit
children to recieve this gospel, Second they have some of the strongest
morals and values I have seen in a non-mormon family in my time in
Guatemala, and Thirdly they give us food almost every time we go over there.
Amanda is also going to teach me how to croshey (I dont know how to spell
that). They showed up to church for the second time yesterday and they love
it. Emily recieved the assignment to say the prayer next sunday in primary
and she is really excited about that (she has 7 years). They all want to be
baptized! This week Amanda faced alot of opposition from her other family
members about "John" Smith, and some kind of Golden book that we worship and
stuff. She told us that she explained to us that she defended Joseph Smith
and exlpained to them everything about the Gold Plates and everything. The
only bummer is that she is not Married to her Husband David. David works
alot and doesnt really care about religion and is really indifferent about
everything. We found out that everyone in David's family is a member of the
church except for him, which is kind of interesting. He is rarely at home,
As a result we have to have a priesthood holder come with us everytime we go
over there. I have faith that we will be able to help David see the light
eventually.

In our area there are two richer neighboorhoods that are protected by armed
guards. We live in one of them. We have a family that we are teaching in the
other. Usually we cannot go in unless we have a preset appointment, and we
have to give them our I.D and everything. There is one Guard that we made
good friends with and he would let us in with out any questions or anything.
We found out that he got murdered a couple of days ago. That made me and my
companion kind of sad. There was also a 16 year olds girl in our ward that
got robbed at gun point on thursday in broad daylight. Everyone in her
family was telling her about all of the times that they got robbed by gun
point to. It was kind of funny how lighthearted they were about it but it.
This week really reminded me and my companion how dangerous this area really
is. I feel safe however because we have the presence the holy ghost with us
always to warn us and guide us.

This is my companions last week in the mission and he is kind of sad and
happy at the same time. Oh yah, Thanks grandma for your letters I got them
last week. Anyways I gotta go. Time really goes by fast, and by that I mean
time on the mission, and the timer on my watch that says I only have minutes
left to write. I love you guys, I love the church, I love my investigators,
I love my mission, I love Jesus, and I love pizza.

Love Elder West

No comments:

Post a Comment