Elder West's Favorite Scripture

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the work of truth and righteousness (Alma 38:9)

Monday, April 25, 2011

"Golden Family" 4/25/2011



Hola Familia!
Boy oh boy I have some good stories this week. The first one I want to tell you about is the Golden family that me and my companion found on saturday. For the past 2 weeks we have been praying and working our butts off to find a family that we can teach. ON saturday morning while we were studying our bishop called us and told us that one of his neighboors knocked on his door and asked him what she needed to do in order to baptized in the mormon church. Wooohooo! but thats not even the best part. Later that day we went to her house with the bishop to teach her. Her Husband was home as well. They are the family Ortega Estrada, his name is Fernando and her name is Velma. And they both speak perfect english which is another plus. Anyways, we sat down and Fernando started to tell us his life story about how he got baptized and recieved the melchesidec priesthood but went inactive after he moved to the united states for 20 years. He came back, met his ¨wife¨ (they arent actually officially married), who also lived in the united states and speaks perfect english as well. Fernando wanted to come back to church and so he also started to teach his wife about the gospel and the book of mormon. What they basically told us was that Velma had prayed all night to find an answer and she did. Thats why they went and found the bishop. THey told us that there goal is to get sealed in the temple. WE tought them about the restoration and it was perfect! afterword we gave each of them a blessing, and they both cried and told us that they truly were able to feel the spirit. Man it is amazing to be able to be able to be a part of an experience like this. Every missionary dreams of a family like this. The contacted us and told us they wanted to get baptized! All of the slammed doors and rejections are worth it.
Last week I also wrote about my goal to contact buses. I had the opportunity to do it twice this past week. Whoooweeee, what an adrenaline rush! 10 months ago I never could have imagined myself standing at the front of a crowded bus with a huge poster of the first vision, qouting what joseph smith saw. hahahah, I dont know if it actually worked but I think it helped me overcome my fear. "I SAW A PILAR OF LIGHT, DIRECTLY OVER MY HEAD!" hahahah. I wish that I had told my companion to take a video of it. The most that I can hope for Is that I planted some good seeds, and I think I did. If I end up training I think that I will make my son do it with me. (in missionary language a new missionary`s first companion is called his dad, because its like he is being born, and at the end of the mission that means that you died or your companion killed you) So if I am ever a dad I will be sure to let my son experience a full on bus contact.
So in 2 weeks I can call you guys, I havent been able to figure out a cheaper way to call but I will keep asking around. My one year mark is approaching really really fast. I cannot believe it, I am almost on the down hill run. Write now my companion is really "Baggy" which means that he is thinking about home alot, becuase the only has 2 months left. So that means that I probably will be killing him. Well I dont really know what else to say but, I love you guys and I will talk to you guys next week.
Love,
Elder West

No comments:

Post a Comment