Elder West's Favorite Scripture

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the work of truth and righteousness (Alma 38:9)

Monday, November 15, 2010

Committed 6 people to baptism! 11/15/10

Hola Familia!


This week was interesting as usual. I had some really high points and some really low points. To start off with all of the good points, we comitted 6 people to baptism! I am really excited for that, that will mean that I will have 12 baptisms in my first 3 months in the field. These converts are going to be really good to. ONe of them is a 11 year old girl who has been coming to church with her uncle for the past month. We just recently realized that she wasnt a member so of course we had to baptize her. She is really intelligent, she understands better than the majority of the adults that we teach. WE are also going to baptize a nineteen year old kid and his friend who has two kids. We also have a family of three, and they polish and reapair shoes for a living. they have an eleven year old son who had to leave school so that he could help his dad polish shoes. It is really sad here because there are alot of people who just arent educated and cant progress at all in life. I realized that the reason why people werent understanding my spanish very much is because my spanish is grammatically correct and straight from the book. My companion told me that its not that my spanish is wrong, its that they never learned how to speak it properly. So I need to speak very simply.

THe low point I had this week was when a recently converted sister, of my old companion, told us that she wanted to leave the church because another member offended her. It was really sad for me. I think that I bore one of the strongest testimonies to her that I have ever bore. I cried during my testimony which really suprised me. I told her that whenever problems like this arise you jsut have to return back to your roots and rember the reason why you got baptized in the first place. Which is that the book of mormon is true. If the book of mormon is true that means that joseph smith was a prophet and that jesus christ is leading and guiding his saints on the earth as we speak. She could not deny the spirit. She came to church this sunday, but I am still worried about her. I learned an important lesson this week, never baptize anyone unless they have already obtained a testimony of the book of mormon and of this church. This is Sooo key.

On another note, I think that I am starting to get tired of beans a little bit. Which is really starting to worry me, because I Iove beans. I only bought one can of beans this week. Another interesting thing this week is that I got fed Chow Mein 3 times this week, hahaha, which I definetly did not expect. And what did I eat my chow mein with? tortillas. at everysingle meal here you have to have a tortilla in your hand. Its kind of like how dad told us that in england people always eat wit a knife in there hand so that they can scoop stuff onto their fork better. Its the same principle here except with tortillas. I think tortillas are better than knives because you cant eat knives when you are finished eating them.

It was really cool to hear about Kristens first day in Illinois, thats cool that she is in a spanish branch. She will learn fast there. I am so proud that my little bro is a deacon as well, I can just imagine him with his really cute deacon tie passing the sacrament. I attached a few pictures that I took this week. I only took three but I will try and take more this week.

Love Elder West

No comments:

Post a Comment